Why no bigphysarea in mainline?

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Fri Mar 18 14:42:48 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:35, Dave Hansen wrote:
> Doing mem= for drivers isn't just a hack, it's *WRONG*.  It's a ticking
> time bomb that magically happens to work on some systems.  It will not
> work consistently on a discontiguous memory system, or a memory hotplug
> system.

I couldn't agree more. Problem is I've been asked to change the way mem=X
works on PPC64 so that this hack will work, which is a horrible thought.

> Could you give some examples of drivers which are in the kernel that
> could benefit from this patch?  We don't tend to put things like this
> in, unless they have actual users.  We don't tend to change code for
> out-of-tree users, either.

No I can't. I've been approached by several "vendors" asking about using mem=X
hacks on PPC64, however I doubt any of them have code in-tree. I'll check
though.

cheers