Proposal for reorg of kernel directory

Kumar Gala kumar.gala at freescale.com
Thu Jun 23 08:56:30 EST 2005

> 4. Have subdirectories directly under arch/ppc64
>
> arch/
>      ppc64/
>            kernel
>            mach-iSeries
>            mach-pSeries
>            mach-bpa
>
> We might want to drop the mach- prefix though, since these are
> commonly called platforms, not machines, on ppc64.
>
> Also, while we're at it, we should finally get rid of the StudlyCaps
> file names like 'ItLpQueue'. Using the capital S in iSeries and
> pSeries is probably a good idea, but it can also be dropped as
> a file name prefix if the directory already has the platform name.

I think one thing you have to realize is that the days of a few ppc64
"mach" or "platforms" are numbered.  As 970 and future 64-bit PPC
parts from Freescale start to exist I'd expect to see more and more
different boards existing.  I don't think we want to add directories
for each new board port that comes along.

- kumar