Kill off addRamDisk (David Gibson)

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri Jul 29 10:18:33 EST 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 12:07:48PM -0700, ppc-dev at storix.com wrote:
> Just a thought on removing addRamDisk
>
> I know that addRamDisk was designed for iseries, but there were some uses with
> pSeries.

Um.. given that addRamDisk pokes its data into a structure which
hasn't even existed on pSeries for quite some time now, I think, such
usage can be considered obsolete.

> Right now I use proceedures similar to the makefile for creating
> zImage.initrd images for network boot. This is a clunky process and
> I would rather use yaboot but cannot due to kernel size
> limitations. (another story).  If you remove it, we should make sure
> there are still efficient and practical ways for users of 32-bit and
> 64-bit systems to create zImage.initrd images.  Otherwise, it seems
> harmless to remove.

This doesn't affect the way pSeries zImage.initrd images are created,
only the way vmlinux.initrd images were created, which have been
iSeries only for a long time now.  In any case, initramfs is now
preferred to initrd.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson