Problem booting latest linux on RS64

Pierre PEIFFER pierre.peiffer at bull.net
Thu Jul 28 19:34:18 EST 2005

Hi all,

I've started to work with Linux on power two weeks ago. And it's not a
great success in fact.
I'm using a PL600 machine with four RS64-IV CPU at 600MHz.

I just wanted to do some tests of my work done with the latest kernel
(I'm working with kernel 2.6.11.7 and 2.6.12.3).

And after several tests and search, I finally found that my problem is a
known one: the one described here:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc64/patch?id=1755
(look for "[boot]0020 XICS Init" , I have this kernel panic)

I already have applied the proc_claim patch to correct the rtas deadbeef
initialization.

I'm surprised that there is such a blocking problem in the mainline
kernel tree. So I just wanted to know if there are some news or if there
is a known work around ? Or may be I missed something ?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help !

--
Pierre Peiffer