RFC: Hugepage COW

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri Jul 15 14:21:46 EST 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 07:00:11PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, David Gibson wrote:
>
> > Well, the COW patch implements a fault handler, obviously.  What
> > specifically where you thinking about?
>
> About a fault handler of course and about surrounding scalability issues.
> I worked on some hugepage related patches last fall. Have you had a look
> at the work of Ken, Ray and me on the subject?

I'm still not at all sure what you're getting at.  Do you mean the
demand-allocation patches which were floating around at some point - I
gather they're important for doing sensible NUMA allocation of
hugepages.  They have a small overlap with the COW code, in the fault
handler, but not much.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson