[Lhms-devel] Re: Help text for memory model config section?

Dave Hansen haveblue at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 7 06:22:08 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 05:32 +1000, Anton Blanchard wrote:
> But I wonder if some structures in sparse.c will grow too large with this
> change. In the ppc64 numa code we decided to allocate the memory lookup
> table (which contains a node id per 16MB region) at runtime. Otherwise
> we had a 256kB array in all kernels.

It's not a big deal to go and free up the bits of that which we don't
use, especially if there's not going to be any memory hotplug going on.

However, if you want memory hotplug, I think 256k at boot-time in .bss
is a pretty small price to pay if it gets you up anywhere from 256MB to
2TB of memory.

-- Dave