Collect real process and processor utilization values when virtualization is enabled.

will schmidt will_schmidt at vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jan 13 04:19:38 EST 2005

Jeff Scheel wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 04:06, Olof Johansson wrote:

> Olof, you are correct.  We'll want to go directly to the hardware and
> avoid the overhead of a hypervisor call.  Only is the instance where the
> hypervisor is emulating PURR will we want to use the hypervisor call.
> The "art" is detecting when/if that is occurring.  Dave E. should be
> able to help us with this.

Related to the PURR hcall comments.   (Yeah, I already visited that
hcall/mfspr topic once.. :-)   )
  "While there is an hcall for reading the purr, and that hcall will
work, it should not be used on [Power5] systems.  on GR and later
processors the OS should be doing a mfspr PURR directly.  The purpose of
the hcall was for prototyping PHYP/PURR behavior on pre-GR processors. "