HUPin the ttys in drivers/char/hvcs.c

Dave C Boutcher sleddog at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 3 03:50:34 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 02:34:31PM -0500, Jimi Xenidis wrote:

> In an LPAR environment there is the hvc (client side VTERM) and the
> hvcs (server side VTERM).  If the /dev/hvcs<n> is paired/registered
> with a VTERM what is removed (as in the case of LPAR death) the
> H_GET_TERM_CHAR hcall will eventually return H_Closed.
>
> IMHO, when this event occurs the /dev/hvcs<n> should get HUPed and
> ultimately an H_FREE_VTERM should occurs on the channel.
> Otherwise the administrator would have to clean up after it.

I think a typical case is where the administrator leaves the console
active for long periods of time (so as to have a record of things like
panics.)  I  think a reboot of the client partition also causes
H_Closed (though I could be wrong about that, and Ryan is off having
a baby so I can't ask him.)  I wouldn't want a client reboot to
cause a HUP.

--
Dave Boutcher