Accessing NVRAM on the Maple board

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Dec 29 12:16:34 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 16:59 -0800, brian jewell wrote:
> Ben,
>
> <What kernel are you using ?>
>
> I am not "bleeding edge"; I'm using 2.6.14.4.
>
> Is there any configuration required for using nvram.c (nvram_64.c)? I see
> the function names in the kernel map file. But when I do an "open" on
> /dev/nvram, I get "No such device", even though the /dev/nvram device file
> is there, and I have set the permissions to "666".
>
> Do I need to include anything in my .config? I am basically building my
> kernel with the Maple default configuration file.

As I told you earlier, Maple uses nvram for communication with the
service processor, and thus the maple support code doesn't expose the
nvram to userland.

You'll have to write your own board support code if you diverge from
maple in that area (which should be fairly simple, provided you
correctly identify your board from the firmware).

Also, the current ppc64 nvram driver is designed to work with chrp-like
partitionned nvrams. You may have to change that in the code.