[RFC] powerpc: Merge 32/64 cacheflush code

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Dec 25 13:05:47 EST 2005

>>> Because the device tree can override the information from the
>>> cputable.  Oh, and the structure is only new for ppc32.
>>
>> If the device tree overrides the cputable should we not believe it?
>> I guess I dont understand why we need the same information in
>> multiple places?

In an ideal world, you won't need the information in the cputable
at all -- not just for cache info, but for everything (except
perhaps the human-readable CPU name).  All this information
should be provided by the device tree.

In the real world, this information might be wrong / missing.
Best would be for the kernel to require the info in the device
tree, and have some fixups for the bad cases.

This same strategy can be applied to everything device-tree
related, btw...

Segher