ppc32 on Xserve?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 24 11:45:48 EST 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Milton Miller wrote:

> One utility you might look for is the "ppc" utility that changes the uname
> returned to be ppc instead of ppc64.  Sometimes that lets packages install
> that otherwise think they are not on the right architecture.  Unfornately I
> am not sure where to obtain it.

  That sounds like 'linux32' which I grabbed from my local debian mirror
- on my G5 with fully 32-bit userspace (non-debian, built from source),
everything seems to work as if it was just a ppc (I had to wrap agetty,
and then gdm, to call them from linux32, otherwise configure scripts
tried to build a 64-bit system).  But, you might not need it - I
couldn't boot debian on my G5 SMU, but ubuntu seemed to give me a fully
32-bit userspace and a uname of ppc.

Ken