Booting OS on PowerPC

Milton Miller miltonm at bga.com
Wed Dec 7 03:40:00 EST 2005

On Thu Dec 1 19:48:11 EST 2005, veera venkata prasad j wrote:

> Can any body tell me how Linux boot on PowerPC machine
> when Open Firmware is up. To be more preciese, what is
> the "known-environment" that the OS expect from Open
> Firmware.

It expects to be (1) in 32-bit mode, (2) r3, r4 0, (3) r5 is a pointer
to the client interface callback, (4) r1 is a usable stack, (5) image
is loaded according to elf-header of zImage wrapper.

More information can be found at penguinppc.org, the CHRP (Common
Hardware Reference Platform, outdated), relevant Openfirmware
specifications, and by reading prom.c in the source.

If you are looking to skip openfirmware, see the draft document
in the current thread on this mailing list

RFC: Rev 0.5 Booting the Linux/ppc kernel without Open Firmware

milton