power3 / matrox problems on current git

Thomas Gall tom_gall at mac.com
Sun Dec 4 09:29:42 EST 2005

Greetings,

Trying to work with ben on some vdso support for glibc and I've ran
into an interesting problem on my power3 box. 44p-270 rs6000 It would
appear things are busticated on 2.6.15 current git. (Pull as of dec
3, this afternoon ~2pm CST)

I suspect it's something related to the matrox card but that's only a
theory at this point.  Box has 2 gig of memory and G200 matrox card.
Screen is all garbled and on the panel I get panic, VFS: can't find
r   which is probably a reference to the root partition.

I've checked the yaboot entry, it has the same root reference as my
working 2.6.12 kernel so I'm sure something else isn't quite right.

I've tried both with and without video=matroxfb:1280x1024 at 60,memtype:
3 which in the past was required in order to get all 8 megs on the
card working (and thus have a working X)

Yes I did make sure optimize for POWER4 is off.  :-)

Appreciate any comments or suggestions,

Regards,

Tom