[patch 8/8] PCI Error Recovery: PPC64 core recovery routines

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Fri Aug 26 02:21:18 EST 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 10:49:03AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt was heard to remark:

> Of course, we'll possibly end up with a different ethX or whatever, but

Yep, but that's not an issue, since all the various device-naming
schemes are supposed to be fixing this. Its a distinct problem;
it needs to be solved even across cold-boots.

(Didn't I ever tell you about the day I added a new disk controller to
my system, and /dev/hda became /dev/hde and thus /home was mounted on
/usr and /var as /etc and all hell broke loose? Owww, device naming
is a serious issue for home users and even more so for enterprise-class
users).

--linas