[patch 2/2] PPC64: Janitorial: Remove unused, deprecated code

Nathan Lynch ntl at pobox.com
Mon Aug 22 14:33:10 EST 2005

Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > > -EXPORT_SYMBOL(find_all_nodes);
> >
> > I don't think we're supposed to just rip out exported symbols without
> > notice anymore.
>
> Oh, why not?  I grepped, I can't find any users of this code anywhere.
> Surely, there aren't any proprietary drivers calling this.

It's not necessarily an issue of proprietary drivers but out-of-tree
code in general which may be using the symbol.

> > This is only one of a family of unofficially deprecated functions for
> > traversing the OF device tree.
>
> I was thinking of asking if I should get rid of the other uses of the
> other deprecated functions as well.  So.. Should I?

Yes, I think so.  The old device tree API isn't safe to use on systems
which support dynamic reconfiguration (which encompasses DLPAR and pci
hotplug).

However, the planned merge of ppc and ppc64 should be taken into
account.  ppc has its own copy of the old API, but it does have the
new one... however, a brief grep through arch/ppc/kernel shows that it
hasn't been converted to the new of_* functions.

Paulus, does it seem reasonable to convert arch/ppc to the new of_*
API and then omit the old device tree API from asm-powerpc/prom.h?