server_mode on Newer Powermac 1.8 (single)

Keith Mitchell kamitch at cisco.com
Tue Aug 9 08:48:09 EST 2005

I have about a dozen of the newer Powermac G5 1.8ghz (single) that has
the SMU (not the PMU) and I was wondering if it is currently possible to
get these things to automatically turn back on in the powerfail
scenario.  We also have some Dual 2ghz machines that we can set
'server_mode' to 1 in the /proc/pmu/options file but nothing similar
seems to exist for these machines.

If I put OSX on this thing and set it via that GUI will the setting
stick?  I thought I had done that initially but I now have some of the
machines that will power back up and some that will not... but I don't
remember if I powered down after doing that setting before installing
linux or not.

The output from /proc/cpuinfo for these machines is:

processor       : 0
cpu             : PPC970FX, altivec supported
clock           : 1800.000000MHz
revision        : 3.0

timebase        : 33333333
machine         : PowerMac9,1
motherboard     : PowerMac9,1 MacRISC4 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 415 (Unknown K2-based)
pmac flags      : 00000000
pmac-generation : NewWorld

Right now I have YDL 4.0.1 (kernel 2.6.10) on the machines.

Thanks.

--
Keith Mitchell                         |        |         |
kamitch at cisco.com                      |       :|:       :|: