RFC: Kill off addRamDisk

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Aug 1 17:09:35 EST 2005

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 08:44:05AM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
>  On Mon, Aug 01, David Gibson wrote:
>
> > > Can the $O/usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz file linked later into the vmlinux
> > > file? I see an '.init.ramfs' section there, perhaps you want to replace
> > > the addRamdisk binary with an addRamdisk shell script which calls
> > > objcopy. But this way we lose the overlay feature.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "the overlay feature".
>
> The initrd content passed via the bootloader is extracted over the
> in-kernel cpio image.

I assume you mean the fact the ramfs added by addRamDisk is overlayed
on top of the one built into the vmlinux section?  iSeries has no
bootloader..

Hrm.. to address that in an objcopy solution we would need to either
a) allow multiple initramfs sections, b) allow multiple, concatenated
cpios within the ramfs section or c) have the user program extract the
preexisting ramfs section, combine it with the new cpio, and replace
the combined image into the ramfs.  Still, doesn't matter for now,
addRamDisk can stay for now.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson