help, trying to invalidate entire icache on 970

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Apr 6 15:00:13 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 16:15 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:

> I have a pre-existing app that modifies itself and doesn't track the
> addresses.  All I get is the app telling me "I just modified something."
>   Thus, I have to flush the entire dcache, and invalidate the entire
> icache in order to ensure that the new code gets run.  It's horribly
> kludgy I know, but that's what I've got to deal with.

Stupid idea: have you checked that maybe when it calls you back for that
"I just modified something", the address is actually still in one of the
registers or a known stack location where you can "peek" at it ? :) That
would solve your problem once for all ... Unless that app gets rebuilt
regulary, but in this case, you should really get them to fix the API to
the callback to take the address.