RFC/Patch more xmon additions

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Fri Apr 1 06:21:48 EST 2005

Hi Will,

I just unearthed this email from the deep mound ...

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 08:18:39PM +1100, Paul Mackerras was heard to remark:
> will schmidt writes:
>
> > Am looking for comments on this additional function i've added to xmon
> > on the side..
> >
> > the bulk of my intent was to make it easier for me to poke at memory
> > within a particular user process.
>
> The main problem I have with it is that we seem to be accessing a lot
> of kernel data structures without checking any pointers or using
> mread() to read the memory safely.  One of the goals of xmon is that
> it should be as reliable as possible even if kernel data structures
> are corrupted, and I think your patch would reduce that reliability.

Please clean up per Paul's suggestions and resubmit; as a matter of principle,
its nice to have the debugger print parsed output instead of having to count 289
bytes into some struct task or such to manually decode a bitflag ...

--linas