32-bit or 64-bit default applications?

Daniel Stekloff dsteklof at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 23 08:36:21 EST 2004

Hi!

What should applications default to when built on a ppc64 system - 32 or
64-bit? Do they default to 32-bit unless explicitly changed to build
64-bit?

I'm porting netdump and the netdump server ppc port currently defaults
to being built 32-bit. The new server is meant to be platform agnostic,
so dumping from a ppc64 system to the 32-bit server works fine. I'm
wondering, however, if I should default build the netdump-server to
64-bit on a 64-bit system.

I'm not sure what the policy is, if there's one.

Thanks,
Dan