[USER] OpenPower 720 support?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Tue Sep 21 00:06:58 EST 2004

Anton Blanchard wrote:

> Most of my testing is done on standard Linus kernels. We have some
> virtual IO only partitions (vscsi, veth) that boot a normal Linus kernel
> and the root partition consists of something i whipped up with debian's
> debbootstrap.

That's what I was hoping to hear. It's likely that I'll end up using NFS
root kernels for some (if not all) of my partitions on this system, with
the local disks only used for booting and swap space.

> make pSeries_defconfig should be good, apart from having to change veth
> and vscsi from modules to built in. We should probably make that the
> default.

Thanks for the hints; I'm sure I'll wander through the entire config
file anyway looking for bits I can turn on, and it's likely I won't have
module support enabled anyway unless I absolutely have to have it.

At this point I'm thinking I'll have one partition whose sole purpose
will be to bond the two built-in GbE NICs together, run 802.1q VLANS on
top of the bonded device, and bridge that into the virtual switch inside
the 720. That partition will probably run out of a ramfs root
filesystem, since it won't need much :-)

Can anyone point me to some docs that show how Virtual SCSI actually
gets configured? I've read nearly everything I can find on IBM's site,
but so far I can't find anything that tells me how the SCSI devices will
appear to the "Virtual SCSI client" partitions. I'm hoping they can all
see an assigned portion of the shared SCSI disks, not have to be
assigned whole disks each.