[PPC64] Remove LARGE_PAGE_SHIFT constant

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Sat Sep 18 09:46:56 EST 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 02:03:28PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 11:13:20AM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> > Andrew, please apply:
> >
> > For historical reasons, ppc64 has ended up with two #defines for the
> > size of a large (16M) page: LARGE_PAGE_SHIFT and HPAGE_SHIFT.  This
> > patch removes LARGE_PAGE_SHIFT in favour of the more widely used
> > HPAGE_SHIFT.
>
> Nitpicking, "LARGE_PAGE_xxx" is used by x86/x86_64:
>
> #define LARGE_PAGE_MASK (~(LARGE_PAGE_SIZE-1))
> #define LARGE_PAGE_SIZE (1UL << PMD_SHIFT)
>
> Wouldnt it be nice to keep consistency between archs?

Hrm... they are indeed there.  However *all* archs, including x86 and
x86_64 have HPAGE_SHIFT et al - it's used in generic code, so x86 has
the duplicate #defines as well.

Actually.. I guess the distinction is that LARGE_PAGE_* refer to the
hardware large page size, whereas HPAGE_SIZE refers to the software
page size used for hugetlbfs.  I think those are identical for all
arches at the moment, but they wouldn't have to be.

david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au	| solution which is simple, neat and
http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson