[USER] OpenPower 720 support?

Dave Hansen haveblue at us.ibm.com
Sat Sep 18 02:31:39 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 08:42, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> My question, though, is that I'm not really keen on using SLES9, and I
> really want to use the 2.6 kernel so that rules out RHES. I am perfectly
> comfortable building my own distro to put on this system, but I'm
> concerned that things like LPAR support and other fancy bits are not
> present in the kernel.org kernel and I'd be losing access to the
> features I'm paying for.
>
> Can anyone give me some thoughts on whether using one of these machines
> with an in-house distro is a wise move?

Let me just say that the software that interfaces with the HMC is very
powerful.  So powerful, in fact, that it has a number of very
intertwined components.

I once knew a young, naive, Linux kernel developer who thought that he
could do DLPAR operations on his Debian machine.  He failed, and uses
SLES9 for that development to this day.  It can surely be done, he just
wasn't clever or patient enough to figure it out.

-- Dave