2.6.9-rc4 kernel -- "cannot find space for TCE table"

Craig Chaney cchaney at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 21 03:04:20 EST 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 09:38:52AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 09:00, Sonny Rao wrote:
>
> > Ben, I'm still seeing this issue with 2.6.9 final, do you need
> > anything else?  I'm sure you're very busy, but please let me know if I
> > can help.
>
> Well, I can't reproduce here, but it seem basically that one of the
> calls to alloc_down() is failing, you may want to trace a bit. I'll
> try to find by myself too & let you know.
>
> Ben.

I can reproduce this on a p615 as well.  I did a little bit of superficial
tracking.

The call to alloc_down fails because (RELOC(alloc_top) == RELOC(rmo_top)) is
false.  On LPAR platforms, alloc_top is set to rmo_top in prom_init_mem.
However, for the p615, prom_find_machine_type() returns PLATFORM_PSERIES,
which causes the logic in prom_init_mem to set alloc_top to 0x40000000.

I can work around this by modifying prom_init_mem to set alloc_top to rmo_top
if of_platform is either PLATFORM_PSERIES_LPAR or PLATFORM_PSERIES.  This
allows me to boot a 2.6.9-rc4 kernel on a p615.

Hope this helps.

-Craig