[vHype-discussion] u64 in linux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Oct 16 05:27:58 EST 2004

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Also, in C99, you can print any integer type by casting it to
> [u]intmax_t and use %j.

By the way, my very firm opinion on this is that we should match and use
<inttypes.h> as much as possible.  Quite frankly <inttypes.h> actually
resolves a lot of issues that previous attempts at creating these datatypes --
including the one in Linux -- have ignored.  This is a good thing.

Yes, there is ugliness, and I actually would have liked to see the C99
committee to have adopted the M$ extension %Inn (e.g. %I64d for a 64-bit
signed decimal integer); to make matters worse GNU used %I for a different
purpose to it's not even possible to make it a compatible extension.

	-hpa