Booting Imac G5

J. Mayer l_indien at magic.fr
Mon Nov 15 09:31:06 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 23:07, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Here's a quick overview of current kernel status:
> > - Pmac PCI IRQ fix: needed for IDE & SATA on
> >    Imac G5 (should not break other targets).
> > - Ethernet PHY failure if the cable is plugged
> >   during boot
>
> Ok, have to check out what's in darwin, there are some bits for the
> Shasta chipset that I haven't adapted yet.

OK.

> > - No RTC
>
> RTC is probably in the SMU...

Yes, it's an i2c RTC clock in the SMU. I'm working to get SMU I2C work,
looking to Apple's drivers.
With luck, the RTC will be quite a standard one ;-)

> > - No SMU management
> > - Bad detection of frame-buffer virtual res in
> >   riva-fb:
> >    should use xres=1440 yres=900 &
> >    virtual_xres=1536
>
> Ok, weird. Will check that when I get it. Does X "nv" driver work when
> booting with offb ?

xorg runs well when booting with ofb. The only issue is that it doesn't
restore the OF original mode when exiting. The only problem I had was to
find the right modeline to put in the monitor section to be able to use
the native resolution. Here it is, if it can be useful:
        HorizSync    28.0-110.0
        VertRefresh  43.0-90.0
        Modeline "1440x900"  100.00  1440 1456 1464 1536  900 916 924
940
The xorg nvidia driver worker really well: it can use other resolutions
(even if it does not seem useful), turn of the backlight, ...

> > - Have to unplug/replug the USB keyboard
> >   after kernel boot to make it work with kernel
> >   2.6.10-rc1. No such problem with 2.6.9.
>
> There have been various USB related issue in 2.6.10-rc*, have you tried
> the latest bk ?

Hum... I don't use bk. Can't compile it...

> > - Lot's of segfaults occuring when multiple
> >   concurent processes are running, especially
> >   during compilations. Maybe the RAM is bad
> >   (I'm trying to port memtest86 to check this)
> >   or the CPU state is not completely saved /
> >   restored when rescheduling: it seems not
> >   to occur when compiling without doing
> >   anything else concurently.
> >
> > Do you have any idea about the last point ? Could this be Altivec
> > context save / restore problems ?
>
> I very much doubt it has anything to do with CPU context
> saving/restoring... Could be lots of different things, difficult to say
> at this point. Thermal problem ? Clock chip setup problem ? Bad
> RAMs ? ...

I don't think it could be a thermal problem as the fans are running full
speed when SMU is not managed. But it could be bad RAM. I have to check
this point. OS X seems to run well, but I didn't stressed it a lot as I
do with Linux !

> +       pci_read_config_byte(pci_dev, PCI_INTERRUPT_PIN, &intpin);
> +       if (intpin != 0)
> +             pci_write_config_byte(pci_dev, PCI_INTERRUPT_LINE, pci_dev->irq);
>
> You don't need to read PCI_INTERRUPT_PIN, just unconditionally write to PCI_INTERRUPT_LINE...

OK, I'll change this.

--
J. Mayer <l_indien at magic.fr>
Never organized