Booting Imac G5

J. Mayer l_indien at magic.fr
Mon Nov 15 01:40:50 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 03:21, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 03:22 +0100, J. Mayer wrote:
>
> > The only other device I can see that should have an IRQ pin set and have
> > not is the IDE controler.
> > That's why I did copy the code which gets the IRQ number from the IDE
> > driver code, as I could see the IDE controler driver did work !
> > I'll check on my Ibook if I can see such a bug on IDE.
>
> I suppose the right fix then is to ignore the IRQ pin on pmac. Just copy
> pci_read_irq_line() to pmac_pci.c, call it pmac_pci_read_irq_line and
> remove the bit that reads the IRQ PIN .. (and remove the PPCDBG ugly
> macros too while you are at it :)

OK, what I've done is a bit different:
I still read IRQ pin so I properly patch the PCI IRQ line if IRQ pin is
set so the other PCI devices configuration won't change.

Here you'll find the full patch I use now on my Imac G5, including your
SATA initialisation fixups.

Here's a quick overview of current kernel status:
- Pmac PCI IRQ fix: needed for IDE & SATA on
   Imac G5 (should not break other targets).
- Ethernet PHY failure if the cable is plugged
  during boot
- No RTC
- No SMU management
- Bad detection of frame-buffer virtual res in
  riva-fb:
   should use xres=1440 yres=900 &
   virtual_xres=1536
- Have to unplug/replug the USB keyboard
  after kernel boot to make it work with kernel
  2.6.10-rc1. No such problem with 2.6.9.
- Lot's of segfaults occuring when multiple
  concurent processes are running, especially
  during compilations. Maybe the RAM is bad
  (I'm trying to port memtest86 to check this)
  or the CPU state is not completely saved /
  restored when rescheduling: it seems not
  to occur when compiling without doing
  anything else concurently.

Do you have any idea about the last point ? Could this be Altivec
context save / restore problems ?

Regards.

--
J. Mayer <l_indien at magic.fr>