Booting Imac G5 : success !

J. Mayer l_indien at magic.fr
Fri Nov 12 01:31:48 EST 2004

Hi,

I got a hack to fix the SATA problem on Imac G5. I was right thinking we
were missing IRQs. Here's what I think about it:
the SATA driver tries to use IRQ 0, which is not the good one. When I
look into the OF device tree, I can see this:
# hexdump
/proc/device-tree/ht\@0\,f2000000/pci\@3/k2-sata-root\@c/k2-sata\@0/interrupts
0000000 0000 0000
0000004
# hexdump
/proc/device-tree/ht\@0\,f2000000/pci\@3/k2-sata-root\@c/interrupts
0000000 0000 000a 0000 0001
0000008

It seems that the driver uses the first (bad) one so I added a test:
if (pdev->irq == 0) pdev->irq = 0xA;
in drivers/scsi/sata_svw.c
then SATA works properly.
Of course, this is just a hack, I think the real patch is to be in the
OF tree parse, not to keep invalid IRQ definitions.

You may know better than me the proper place and way to fix this issue
(generic OF tree routines, SATA driver ?).

Regards.

--
J. Mayer <l_indien at magic.fr>
Never organized