Linux on G5 Xserve?

Greg Johnson gjohnson at lanl.gov
Fri May 14 02:23:30 EST 2004

Has anybody been able to boot Linux on the G5 Xserve?  I have been
trying to get it to work for about a week.  I've tried all the available
distribution kernels (mostly 32bit + Gentoo ppc64).  I've also built
some 32bit kernels myself.  In all cases, I get no output after
prom_init finishes.  Here is the output from my latest attempt:

Transfer FILE: vmlinux \
TFTP-actual=415572 TFTP-adler32=1d304c5e    Elf32 kernel loaded...
copying OF device tree...done
Calling quiesce ...

DO-QUIESCE finishedreturning 0x0160000 from prom_init

Then nothing.  This is all over the serial port as these machines don't
have video cards.  Is it possible that the kernel is booting, but not
initializing the serial console?  All the output I'm getting from the
kernel comes through the prom.

Any help or pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg