PCI errors [was Re: "sparse" warnings..]

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed May 5 11:40:16 EST 2004

> Yes and no.
>
> Hotplug events aren't NMI's, and that means that if the driver is handling
> it's interrupt handler (or has an irq spinlock or anything else), then
> that IO _still_ needs to be faked out and "completed" in a sw sense.
>
> So if it happens on a read, the EEH handler needs to return garbage
> (preferably 0xffffffff, since that's generally what existing hotplug
> drivers kind of expect from hardware that isn't there), and needs to
> continue onward with life.

That's what the HW does in fact. What happens when an error occurs on
those machines, if I understand things correctly is that when the error
happens, the bridge that controls that slot immediately off-hook the
slot and starts returning ffffffff's. The EEH code hooks on the normal
IO read routine and calls the firmware to check for errors when a read
returns all f's.

> So basically, what you should aim for is that unmodified drivers will
> start getting all-ones on reads, and writes will basially be thrown away.

Yes.

--
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>