PCI errors [was Re: "sparse" warnings..]

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Wed May 5 11:08:39 EST 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004 linas at austin.ibm.com wrote:

> Except that is not how the hardware works.  Once you get the error,
> that's it, the device is blown up out of the water, its history.
> Its impossible to ignore this error.

So?

Return garbage, and continue.

There's nothing else you _can_ do. Go on with life. If the driver doesn't
have error recovery, what else woul you suggest?

I'm saying that you don't have any choice. Just go on.

That's what you'd do _with_ error recovery too, btw. It's just that there
the driver eventually asks "did we have errors", and if so, it tries to
recover gracefully. But there is _zero_ you can do on an individual IO
level anyway, except to basically set a flag and step over the IO
instruction (although the instruction is usually long gone already, at
least for writes).

		Linus