"sparse" warnings..

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Wed May 5 04:15:01 EST 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004 linas at austin.ibm.com wrote:

> > eeh? Maybe, but that must have been long enough ago that I don't even
> > remember what EEH stands for..
>
> extended error handling, a way of reporting PCI bus errors that would
> otherwise cause machine-checks.

So what was wrong with the suggested interface, ie having something like

	pci_clear_error(pdev);
	x = pci_inw_check(pdev, port);
	pci_outw_check(pdev, x | BIT, port);
	error = pci_check_error(pdev);

(or whatever.. I don't care about the names, but what I do _not_ want to
have is something that checks synchronously with the IO. To me, the
important part is that there is a separate "check errors" phase _after_
the IO has been completed, which is the one that ends up possibly waiting
for the posted writes to have actually gone to the device etc).

		Linus