PCI Hotplug Slot Naming Scheme

John Rose johnrose at austin.ibm.com
Sat Mar 27 06:01:45 EST 2004

> > Ick, ick, ick.  I say no.  Those names mean nothing to anyone familiar
> > with Linux.
>
> Yes, but they do mean something to the sysadmin who has to figure out
> the physical location of some device.  In particular, the HMC does not
> use the Linux naming scheme.

A sysadmin performing a hotplug/DLPAR operation uses either the HMC or a
command-line tool to do so, and the command-line tools will still accept
the ibm-style name no matter what interface is decided upon.  So keeping
around ibm-style directory names doesn't particularly ease the job of a
sysadmin, IMHO.

Thanks-
John