EEH, hotplug, bash scripts, error reporting.

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sat Mar 20 11:31:01 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 06:24:31PM -0600, linas at austin.ibm.com wrote:

> Is there any sort of architecture or policy w.r.t. hot-plug scripts
> and how they relate to syslog and to RAS?

In one word, no.

The hotplug framework allows you to run any program you want based on
the type of event that happened.  It's up to you to do what you want to
with that event.

> But I'm sitting here thinking "gee, here's my EEH code, its detected
> a permanant failure on some PCI slot.  It can/it should invoke some
> hotplug script".  So it occured to me that the whole /sbin/hotplug
> architecture is completely orthogonal to the whole syslog architecture.
> And the syslog architecture is orhtogonal to the pSeries RAS architecture.

The two things are separate, correct.

But it is quite easy to have a hotplug script/program write to the
syslog if that is what your platform requires.

thanks,

greg k-h