more eeh

linas at austin.ibm.com linas at austin.ibm.com
Thu Mar 18 09:09:02 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:07:55PM +1100, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> Nathan Fontenot writes:
>
> > Any comments I could get on the code would be greatly appreciated.
> > Namely, is this the correct way to generate a hotplug event, or
> > is there another interface I should use.  And, is this safe? This
> > causes the removal of a slot in the middle of a read on the slot.
>
> Is this potentially calling disable_slot() at interrupt level (e.g. if
> the driver is doing a readl() at interrupt level)?  If so, I think
> that's probably a bad idea.  I think it would be better to do it at
> process level, using a workqueue or something similar.

Yes, right.

FWIW, at some 'future' date, the idea was to have a eeh recovery
kernel daemon that would be able to coordinate the recovery of
multi-function devices as well as individual devices.

I lost time on the blasted superbug, I hope get reinvolved w/ eeh
starting about now. After reading my stale email. :-/

--linas