OpenFirmware devices and hotplug events

Dave Hansen haveblue at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 17 09:00:07 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 13:49, Greg KH wrote:
> First off, what are you "hotplugging"?  What type of devices are these?
> And why are they not covered by the current hotplug interface in the
> kernel?

In general, do any of the devices in the OpenFirmware tree generate
linux hotplug events?  When something happens to the tree, does
/sbin/hotplug get called?

Greg, I think a large portion of the problem lies in the current way
that the device tree is exported to userspace.  Take one look at
/proc/device-tree, and I think you'll see what I mean.

-- dave