Probing of iSeries devices with the 2.6 kernel, redux (bz122560)

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jun 22 06:43:35 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 01:57 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:50:16 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr at au.ibm.com> wrote:
> > This bug has been raised to "ship issue" on our side, so I will be working
> > on it over the weekend.  Expect another patch.  Unfortunately, the patch
> > is getting large - it needs infrastructure for all the sysfs stuff.
>
> Attached is another patch.  It is against the Ameslab tree which should
> be pretty close to 2.6 upstream.  I have cut it down as much as possible
> by removing a whole lot of cleanups I had in there.

Applies fine here for the most part (we don't have the vscsi driver, so
removed that chunk).  Had to go back slightly to something 2.6.7-rc3-bk6
based as the final 2.6.7 seems to fail to build for iSeries with
undefined references to .flush_altivec_to_thread, but that'll work
itself out.

> OK, this is what the patch does.  All the iSeries virtual devices now
> appear in /sys/devices/vio and /sys/bus/vio/devices.  Unfortunately,
> apart from the veth devices, there are all possible devices there at
> the moment - I need to think about how to reduce it but that requires
> moving all the probe code into vio.c ...

It would definitely be helpful to have only the present ones listed.
Seems to basically work with some quick probing code I wrote for the
veth side at least.

> Suggestions welcome.  I will put this in bugzilla as well.

Not directly related to this, but it would be helpful if iseries_veth
would set the bus specific bits of the ETHTOOL_GDRVINFO structure.  But
not having won't completely break things, it'll just make some things a
little bit less ideal.

Jeremy