Probing of iSeries devices with the 2.6 kernel, redux (bz122560)

Stephen Rothwell sfr at au1.ibm.com
Sun Jun 20 01:57:30 EST 2004

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:50:16 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr at au.ibm.com> wrote:

> This bug has been raised to "ship issue" on our side, so I will be working
> on it over the weekend.  Expect another patch.  Unfortunately, the patch
> is getting large - it needs infrastructure for all the sysfs stuff.

Attached is another patch.  It is against the Ameslab tree which should
be pretty close to 2.6 upstream.  I have cut it down as much as possible
by removing a whole lot of cleanups I had in there.

OK, this is what the patch does.  All the iSeries virtual devices now
appear in /sys/devices/vio and /sys/bus/vio/devices.  Unfortunately,
apart from the veth devices, there are all possible devices there at
the moment - I need to think about how to reduce it but that requires
moving all the probe code into vio.c ...

However, in /sys/bus/drivers/<driver>/, the only devices listed are the
ones actually there.

veth devices are symlinked from /sys/class/net/eth<n>.

viodasd devices are linked from /sys/block/<dev>/device.  As are viocds.

viotape devices are linked from /sys/class/tape/.

Suggestions welcome.  I will put this in bugzilla as well.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr at au.ibm.com
IBM OzLabs Linux Technology Centre