[lhcs-devel] Re: [RFC] don't create cpu/online sysfs file

Ashok Raj ashok.raj at intel.com
Sat Jun 5 09:17:50 EST 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 04:04:17PM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:

Dave,

I think your solution can be easily solved if all you want to do is
"your platform does not support cpuhotplug", which case just dont create
for any cpu, or even better dont do anything in register_cpu() related
to control file creation. Forcing all implementations to behave one way just to
do what you want seems not right approach, and limiting all to least common
denominator.

The preferable way to this would be.

- platfform_supports_cpuhotplug(), like in your case, dont create the
  online file for any.
- __cpu_is_hotpluggable(cpu#) can also exist if this is a static decision to
   be made, say if the platform says that a certain cpu cannot be removed.

But you should not always assume this is a static decision just because its the
case in one platform. In my earlier example, if you have 8 cpu system,
but cpu0-3 are special, and atleast 1 needs to exist for the system to work.

I can remove any of of cpu0-3 until i have atleast one  of the cpu0-3 left. The
last one is not removable.

Keep it simple please:-)

Cheers,
ashok