[1/4] RFC: SLB rewrite (core rewrite)

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Jul 12 10:57:11 EST 2004

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 10:27:46AM +1000, Anton Blanchard wrote:

> > This branch probably shouldn't be predicted.  The general rule on branch
> > prediction is for an error case, or a missed lock.  Since about power 4,
> > the branch prediction is a little over 99% correct, you'll get a miss 1
> > out of 62 times or 1.6% of the time.  It's probably not measurable, just
> > might save a few cycles.
>
> Milton and I looked over this a while ago. Neither of the two POWER4
> branch prediction algorithms will do a good job. We are likely to get 2
> mispredictions per loop whereas we only get one misprediction per loop
> with static prediction.
>
> As David pointed out we have removed the slbmfee loop completely in
> subsequent patches.

Well.. we did some timings with a hacky patch which just took out the
slbmfee on the grounds that most of the time it would just work.  I
have a patch to actually safely remove it by bolting the kernel stack
into SLB slot 1, but I'm not yet sure how to get that working properly
on iSeries.

david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au	| solution which is simple, neat and
				| wrong.
http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson

** This list is shutting down 7/24/2004.