How to block pci config-reads during device self-test?

Brian King brking at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 9 04:08:26 EST 2004

Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:56:06PM -0500, Brian King wrote:
>
>>Greg KH wrote:
>>
>>>But this is limited only to a single PCI device that you have,
>>>correct? To add such a huge core change for only a single, broken
>>>device, that 99.99% of the Linux users and developers will never see
>>>is not a nice option.
>>
>>It is limited to every adapter the ipr device driver controls which
>>means almost every scsi adapter on pSeries hardware, including the
>>embedded scsi controller on most systems. So the scope of this problem
>>for pSeries users is fairly large.
>
> Not if you "fix this" by disabling access to the self-test mode :)

Its not just used for the self-test mode. It is the only way I have to
give the adapter a hard reset during error recovery. So when my
eh_host_reset function gets invoked due to the adapter having severe
problems or if the adapter takes an error that requires a hard reset to
recover from, I have to run BIST.

--
Brian King
eServer Storage I/O