How to block pci config-reads during device self-test?

Brian King brking at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 9 02:36:28 EST 2004

I've been doing some talking with various hardware folks to see if there
  is a way to get this fixed and so far the answer I have been getting
is no. It is how the hardware works and there isn't much that can be
done about it in microcode.

To work around the problem we could add userspace pci config read and
write function pointers to the pci_dev struct which a device driver
could overload. These would be invoked for user initiated pci config
accesses. The device driver could then do the right thing for that
device if necessary.

I don't like the idea of "learning to live with this". People do run
into this problem and telling them it can't be fixed is not an
acceptable answer.

-Brian