How to block pci config-reads during device self-test?

linas at austin.ibm.com linas at austin.ibm.com
Wed Jul 7 07:12:54 EST 2004

Hi all,

Am having trouble with PCI config-space reads ... I have a device
(actualy Brian King has it) that can perform a built-in-self test
(BIST).  However, if anything does a PCI config-read during BIST,
then the device does something crazy that makes the PCI controller
chip take it offline.

I'm not sure what's doing the config-spcae reads ... seems to be some
user-space tool or daemon.  I'm wondering if there is any practical
way to block such reads to a given device until its self-test
sequence is completed.  I could try to modify the architecture-specific
pci files to do this (arch/ppc64/kernel/pSeries_pci.c) but this seems
a tad ugly ... is there another way?  or do we have to just learn to
live with this ahrdware?

--linas