[2.4] PCI bases with value 0 -- upstream status?

Olof Johansson olof at austin.ibm.com
Tue Jan 20 05:03:14 EST 2004

I'm not sure how many times this subject has come up, but here we go again:

The pci_read_bridge_bases() code in drivers/pci/pci.c assumes that all
resources start on a non-zero address, which is not true on our systems.
On LPAR machines, as well as some SMP configs, we might very well have a
0 base.

I think the fixes have been in Ames before, but might have been taken
out to keep us aligned with mainline? Have patches to fix
drivers/pci/pci.c upstream been shot down? If so, should we add it back
to Ames?

This keeps a mainline or ameslab 2.4 kernel from using the first device
of an LPAR system, and it's shown up on a p650 in SMP mode as well,
resulting in unprobed internal SCSI interfaces.

-Olof

--
Olof Johansson                                        Office: 4F005/905
pSeries Linux Development                             IBM Systems Group