[RFC] implicit hugetlb pages (new patch-set)

Adam Litke agl at us.ibm.com
Sat Jan 10 08:19:49 EST 2004

I have been working with implicit hugetlb stuff lately and have added 2
new features / fixes to the original code:

   * Safe fallback when implicit allocations fail
   * Dynamic hugetlb area resizing for 32-bit address spaces

The code is broken out into 3 smaller patches:

   hugetlb_implicit, mmu_context_to_struct, hugetlb_dyn_as

which I will include and describe in reply to this email.

This has been tested on SpecJBB with a 32-bit JVM and results have been
good so far.  Can anyone think of cases where this code will break
badly?  I have tried to consider some cases and I came up with these:

   * Contention between the stack area and the hugetlb area.
   * I currently don't shrink the hugetlb region, should I?
   * Are there any problems with extending the mmu_context to a struct?
   * Any other things I didn't think of

Thanks.

--
Adam Litke - (agl at us.ibm.com)