extreme RTAS printks

Nathan Lynch nathanl at austin.ibm.com
Tue Feb 10 15:00:43 EST 2004

Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> Could we *please* kill printk_log_rtas()? This data is available via
> /proc files; there is no need to spam our boot logs with it.

How about making it a config option?  Patch attached.  I'm not sure the
help text is 100% correct - do RAS tools depend on the messages being in
dmesg output or do they look at the /proc files?

Another idea is changing the log level of these messages from KERN_ERR
to something lower priority like KERN_INFO or KERN_DEBUG.  At least that
way the console doesn't get spammed in default configurations.

Nathan