{rtasd,rtc,scanlog}.c schedule_timeout() usage

Nishanth Aravamudan nacc at us.ibm.com
Sat Dec 18 11:54:45 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to work some more on auditing the usage of schedule_timeout(),
replacing most calls with either msleep() or msleep_interruptible(), depending
on the state to sleep in. I am now begginning to replace code outside of drivers
and came across arch/ppc64/kernel/{rtc,rtasd,scanlog}.c, all of which use
TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE schedule_timeout() calls.

My understand, though, is that TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE directly indicates that one
should be able to handle waking up early if a signal is received. I don't see
any signal handling / responding in the code around these timeouts. Would
TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE work in these cases (indicating sleeping for waitqueue
events (which I don't see around the code, so I'm guessing means an absolute
sleep). If the latter, then perhaps I can use msleep_interruptible(). If you
only wish to sleep until a signal is received (or the timeout occurs) then
msleep_interruptible() may be a valid choice.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Nish