User allocated memory for DMA

Jean-Christophe Dubois jdubois at mc.com
Tue Dec 7 00:40:25 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 18:29 +0530, Amit K Tiwari wrote:
> I am writing a driver for a PCIX board to run on Y-HPC (64-bit Yellow
> Dog Linux pre-installed on Apple XServe). The application is to
> process the data acquired from the board and send the results out. The
> data needs to be acquired by DMA into a user allocated buffer. The
> amount of data is huge and I need about 1.5 GB per DMA operation.
>
> Here is what I am doing:
> 1. malloc and mlock the memory in user mode.

Just curious, but is all the G5 memory DMAable? And is your PCIX card
DMA engine 64 bits capable? If yes maybe you should consider an approach
similar to the bigphysarea patch. This way you could be sure to get one
single contiguous block the size you want. As a drawback it may mean
that a lot of memory will not be available to Linux but that may be a
price you are ready to pay for your application as it will consume this
much memory anyway. If required it is trivial to implement some kind of
filesystem on top of it to manage this memory region from user space (we
have done something like this here even if we didn't need such big chunk
of memory).

It is a design rather different from the scatter/gather list but it
might be more efficient for you overall.