power4 performance counters

Igor Grobman igor at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Dec 3 03:59:49 EST 2004

Anton,
Thanks for the oprofile and 970 Book IV pointers.  They proved very
useful.

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Anton Blanchard wrote:

> Let me know if you get stuck. Just out of interest, are you planning to
> work on one of the performance counter packages (eg pmapi, perfctr)

I am working on a kernel instrumentation/profiling tool called kerninst.
I mentioned it on this list before.  Basically, we provide a mechanism to
place code snippets in any arbitrary point, while the kernel is running
(no recompile/reboot is needed).  I am looking to provide primitives for
using performance counters inside the instrumentation.  Hence, my
question.

See http://www.paradyn.org/html/kerninst.html.  ppc64 release is coming
real soon now.

-Igor