Problem with P2P PCI bridge in pSeries 630

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Tue Sep 30 06:20:38 EST 2003

    linas> Before you bang your head too much on the PCI code, please
    linas> make sure that you have the latest firmware installed (and
    linas> install it if you don't).

    linas> The OF firmware is involved in the PCI setup, and there
    linas> have been some bugs fixed having to do with PCI bridges.
    linas> These are 'recent' bugs, fixed about 6 months ago.

Thanks for the advice.  I updated my firmware from 3R030528 to
3R030718, but unfortunately the behavior is exactly the same.  I get:

    EEH: PCI Enhanced I/O Error Handling Enabled
    PCI: 0062:00.0 pci15b3,5a44 (<unknown type>) has bad status from firmware! (fail-perm)<4>write_OF_bars 0062:00.0 pci15b3,5a44 (<unknown type>): read BAR0 failed
    write_OF_bars 0062:00.0 pci15b3,5a44 (<unknown type>): read BAR1 failed

in the kernel log, and lspci doesn't see the device behind the bridge.

    linas> There were some bugs when the EEH code walked bridges.  A
    linas> firmware upgrade should fix it; if not then you've got a
    linas> real problem.

I guess I have a real problem :(

 - Roland